St. Thomas, USVI.... Taken by me

Friday, December 17, 2010

Free Paul Waggoner!



While volunteering in Haiti back in February 2010, I met Little Paul (Paul Waggoner). As soon as our group got inside the hospital, he introduced himself and I liked him right away. I usually don't "click" with people like that. It takes me time. But Little Paul was different. That same night, we sat at the balcony, joked, he let me use his laptop, we added each other on Facebook etc... I still didn't know all the names of those I went with. I still don't. Maybe two...

 Little Paul was simply special. He worked HARD, lived in a tent on the roof of the hospital with all of his possession in his backpack. LP came to Haiti on his own after the earthquake simply because he wanted to help. He didn't want to sit around and wait for organizations to call him up. Although LP has NEVER been to Haiti before that, he found his way there and never really left, except for one or two week.

I found LP in Haiti, I left him there and he had no intentions to leave. LP and I never lost touch. If he doesn't hear from me, he sends a message on Facebook or I call him. As a matter of fact, LP recently met my dad who still lives in Haiti and has a small orphanage there. My dad also liked him instantly, not because he was a "Blan", because my dad worked with missionaries all his life, travels in many states with some. So,  "Blans" don't surprise him or get him excited like that. After meeting LP, he told me "he is such a "cool" guy! He cares for people and don't act like some of them do". After that meeting, They talked on the phone again, and the last conversation between them, Paul was going to get him some books for the kids. But he didn't get to do it because he is now in jail, falsely accused of a bogus, ridiculous crime that he did NOT commit!

LP is charged with kidnapping of a dead child! Back in February LP assisted a father who brought an almost dead child to the hospital, Paul helped him. The kid got to the doctor and died. See the whole story here: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/12/17/haiti.american.jailed/index.html?hpt=T.2 . LP did NOT take this kid, had nothing to do with anything beside helping the dad.

As a Haitian, who met LP, who knows LP and still keep in touch with him, I am outraged by this case! This is pure BS and people trying to make money on someone who was really helping those in need, unlike some others! LP rescued children from very bad situations, who had no one, no name, no one would know they are missing, but he didn't take them. He helped them! Along with Big Paul, his friend and co-founder of their organization, which they founded recently, he has been doing a great job in Haiti (believe me if I say so!) I usually don't endorse organizations, but "The Pauls" were the only ones I tweeted, facebooked about, asking people to donate and support their great work in Haiti. They never asked me to do a thing. I took it upon myself to do so. I stopped tweeting about them after their organization became structured and had its own twitter page. I still endorse their organization, MMRC Global, as one of my favorites that does not waste money on "administrative fees", but despite their great work, they are greatly underfunded.

As a Haitian, I am disgusted with what they are accusing LP of and to see how someone can blatantly lie on someone else like that when he knows that he is innocent! Unless this man is absolutely crazy, clinically insane, it's sick that he is trying to accuse an innocent or trying to get money off of his dead son! I wanted to write this to tell all that LP is an innocent man sitting at the disgusting Penitentiary in Port-au-Prince, for no reason and needs to be released! LP is one man who filled rooms with food for hungry orphans, helped pregnant women, got blood for critically ill people; he personally helped a raped victim for me and my list can go one... LP is an innocent man.

This baby was born prematurely and was not provided an incubator  "because there was none'. So, LP built one for him. he died almost a week later. But LP did what he could. He cried when this little guy died.This is the LP I know.
































While sitting on the roof of the hospital, together, Paul once told me "I am not a saint. I have a past. But THIS is what I want to do. I finally know what I was born to do. I enjoy doing this! I'm not sure when I'll leave here." I responded to him "You'll become one of those "Blan Haitians" I will come to your house next time I come to Haiti." Paul's past is not a "revelation" to me. He beat up a pedophile and deserves a prize for it. Not a record (but that's just my opinion). We spoke last week, and he was inviting ME to Haiti for Christmas "You have to come, Charnie. It will be fun!' I couldn't stop laughing, thinking "He did become a Blan Haitian!" I am disgusted that someone can be so sick to frame him like this!

During this ordeal, last time I exchanged emails with Paul while he was incarcerated in a jail before his hearing, I told him "I hope you'll leave when you get out (not adding the "At least for a moment")",  LP's response to me was "I don't want to leave. I have 100 kids that depend on me and what we do for them. I won't be another wolf ticket to them".

Whatever LP did in his past, when I met him, he was a changed man. A man with a big heart! He protected me like he was paid to do it! He passed on going out with his friends one night to stay with me because he didn't trust some guy who was saying certain things to/about me. He sincerely told me that his reaction would be BAD if he came back and found out that he has even touched me (since I was the only one in my group left behind that night)! This is LP. He loves to protect people, especially children and women.


I'm praying for his safe and early release. LP already knows that I have a lot of love for him! Can't wait to hear his voice again as a free man!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your personal exchanges. It makes the story and Little Paul much more real to many. I hope for his quick release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a lot about this guy, but not from anyone who actually knew him. Thanks for sharing. We all have to fight for him.

    ReplyDelete