St. Thomas, USVI.... Taken by me

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Shame on Samaritan's Purse!

About ten months ago, Samaritan's Purse tweeted a job opening in Haiti. I immediately showed interest in the job because I have a cousin who matched the qualification requirements perfectly. It was about two months after the earthquake and a job was number one priority for everyone. As soon as I tweeted Samaritan's Purse about the job, they followed me and sent me a direct message, telling me what to do. I did everything they asked for, I even had him get the letter from the pastor of his church to show his involvement, as part of his "qualifications", which I found outrageous! I spoke and exchanged emails with Amy G. of HR who assured me that he is under "serious" consideration for the job and that we will get a request for an interview soon.

A month later, when I still did not receive the call, I DM'd Samaritan's Purse on Twitter, no response. I emailed that Amy G. of the HR department, no response. I called and left a message, never got a call back. I believed them when they told me that my cousin would at least get an interview. Maybe because they are "Christians" and somewhere in me, I believed that they would not blatantly lie like that. But when I tweeted about my experience, I found at least two other victims of Samaritan's Purse: just like my cousin, they were very qualified candidates who were promised interviews but never got the call. Haitians don't usually get jobs they are qualified for at some of those organizations, unless of course you know someone who knows someone... But if you want a driver, cleaner, run-errands job, they'll certainly hire you, despite having degrees that make you qualified for other positions.

Nonetheless, I never actually named Samaritan's Purse publicly as the organization who put us through this whole ordeal; but after seeing that they are bringing Sarah Palin to Haiti for a photo-op, I could no longer help myself. It's so despicable to see how so-called Christians and Christian organizations use the poor for their own gain. I grew up seeing "Missionaries" up close and very personal. While there were some who really cared and wanted to help, I met some who were all about their bank accounts, take pictures of poor children and use them in churches around the U.S. to collect money. I met some who were racists and thought Haitians didn't deserve the best. My father worked for more than one of these "Christian organizations" and many times he had to put his foot down to get paid to pay my school tuition because "the boss" didn't find it necessary that he is spending so much money on school for me, "it's not worth it" he said. But I'm sure his kids got proper education here, in the U.S. and he never thought it was not worth it.

Seeing how Samaritan's Purse is unscrupulously using the poor and Haiti to boost Sara Palin's image for political gains is sickening. I'm sure pictures of her holding a black baby, smiling or distributing gifts to "the poor Haitian people" will be all over her website as part of her "foreign and international" experience, besides being able to see Russia from her house. Shame on Franklin Graham for using Haiti like this for his personal gains. I am simply disgusted, especially when these people call themselves Christians.

Is Sarah Palin on a "humanitarian mission" or a "campaign mission"? Where has she been since January 12th? Why haven't we heard Mrs. Palin at least mentioned Haiti in a speech or even a tweet or a Fcabook post? Why this sudden interest?

Below is one of the first pictures tweeted by her entourage.

 Shame on Christians like Franklin Graham who use Haiti like this. It's sickening and reprehensible how people constantly use the poor. No wonder they try their best to keep Haiti where it is by refusing to hire Haitians or pay them a decent salary. They only focus on handouts and offering them Jesus in exchange of a plate of food "if you join my religion, I'll help you". I wonder... WWJD?

4 comments:

  1. It sucks that your cousin did not get a job, and whoever you talked to was def in the wrong. I don't think you should put down the whole of Samaritans Purse though. They have done A LOT of good. I could careless for Sarah Palin but I know Franklin Graham is a good man. What has he done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very harsh blogpost. And I would like to return the question to you: What WOULD Jesus do? I certainly do not think he would endorse this blogpost. I have seen first hand the works that SP has done. I have met countless Haitians that have been hired full time by this organization. I have wept with the volunteers and prayed with the staff... on the daily I might add. As far as Sarah Palin goes what do you know of her? Have you met her and heard her heart? Did you know she is a born again Christian? And then I thought about how much extra exposure Haiti would get from someone snapping a picture. Maybe someone seeing that would donate some time or funding to the ministry and work that they do there. Because like it or not Haiti needs us.
    I have myself have taken pictures with the children. Why? So I can look like a saint when I come home and show off to my family and friends all the good work I have done? Not even close... its so I can remember and never forget what I saw. So I can continue to stir my heart for compassion. Its so people here who live surrounded by shameful riches in North America can see what goes on outside their embarrassing bubble.
    I pray your cousin finds gainful employment my friend.
    Because He Lives,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Would Jesus do about this blog? He would see that I'm speaking the truth and that Palin is using the poor for her own gain, which is clear. So clear that even Stevie Wonder can see what she is up to.

    Maybe Samaritan's Purse has done great things, I was just speaking of a personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete