St. Thomas, USVI.... Taken by me

Monday, January 3, 2011

The World Doesn’t Revolve Around You

Some people really believe that the world revolves around them and I am not one hundred percent sure why. Maybe it boosts their ego? Maybe it feels good for them to feel important? more important than they really are… Who knows?

Case 1: The High School Attention-Wore Who Never Grew Up

We all had that friend in high school who thought she was it! Or maybe you were that friend. You know, that friend who thought that she was the head bitch in charge, who loved to be praised, and received compliments all day and when she didn’t get it, she asked for it? That friend who loved to compare herself with others to boost her ego on vain things? I knew one of those in high school. As a matter of fact, I should just call her a classmate. She was never really my friend. We maybe were cool during a period of time but it didn’t last long. She was what we call an attention-whore. If she thought she was looking good on a Monday, we were in trouble. She would walk around the classroom, she would speak the loudest . She was a bully too….Well, that was the past. So I thought.

Almost a decade later, she has not changed much. Many of us have reconnected through Facebook over the past years. Since we were cool, as soon as we became “Facebook Friends”, I sent her an email asking her about how she was doing etc… You know, just to update each other on our lives. But I got no response. Yet, she was online everyday. I tried to chat, same thing. So, I decided to send a second email asking her why she has not responded. She replied “I don’t have time for little drama. I am a very busy person. I didn’t even see your email…” blablabla. On the cahts? “She never saw it, etc…” Something about her computer. I still rose above her drama or should I say ignorance and continued to be civil with her. After all, I knew that that was very typical of her and she was just trying to boost her ego by making herself sound very busy and important.

As months go by, I commented on her photos that she posted about different moments of her life, but I realized that she replied to many but rarely (if ever) my comments and some others who went to school with us; I guess she chose a different crowd because she was always that person who would go as low as she can if she thinks someone is from a certain class, live in a certain area, has a certain name or connection…. She has not changed one bit. I decided to keep her on my list, but ignored her. I stopped boosting her ego: no commenting on her pictures, no sending her messages asking her how she is doing… Nada.
Weeks ago, we commented on different common friends’ posts. I decided to not acknowledge her. She posts pictures about other big moments of her life, I ignored her while other common friends were all over them. Truthfully, I forgot that she even existed, until I see her updates or somehow is brought to my attention.
Suddenly, about two weeks ago, we both commented on something and minutes later, she posted something about removing people from her page because “they only come to look at her business *what business?) but don’t really care about her. If you are a real friend, you have to care. You have to want to know how your friend is doing blablabla…” Something along those lines. She made sure to post on something I posted so I can notice that she removed me.

I really didn't care that she did. As a matter of fact, I was glad because my plan was to detox that page and my life of dead weights and folks I call “friends” who are as fake as Pamela Anderson’s boobs. She was going to be one of those fake people.

She was upset because I was no longer boosting her ego and was complimenting other common friends that we have and it didn’t sit well with her. Another thing, since I was always the one asking how she is doing and her mom etc… What about she asking how I was doing? I went through some times too and it would have felt great to know that she wanted to know how I’m doing. Friendship is a two-way street.

All of this is to say that some folks don’t realize that others have their lives to live too and that the world does not revolve around them. People have other things to worry about, such as: work, home, family, the economy etc…In your own little cloud, you may believe you are the most important thing, but don’t try to put that on others and trying to become their occupation, because seriously there are other important things that are going on, while you’re sitting and demanding everyone else’s attention.

And like someone else said, “emotions are contagious”. If you have that negative vibe coming from you, that’s what you will get from others. If you don’t care, then others won’t care either. It’s just the way it is.
When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.Bernard Bailey 
 
And since some folks are all mixed up about how to be a friend, it’s very simple: "The only way to have a friend is to be one." Ralph Waldo Emerson.
 
Case #2 coming soon

2 comments:

  1. Ms. C, there are so many of these creatures that it's cra-z!
    How about those who constantly think that your FB status updates are about them when really you don't even remember if they exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have been "victim" of that too in this case. I don't even remember her existence, she has nothing to mind but think she is so important that people "ap fe jouda sou li". This is just crazy to me. i am busy trying to live a live myself

    ReplyDelete